ABOUT Online Learning at SRJC
Santa Rosa Junior College offers a wide variety of online courses as well as online certificates and degrees. Online courses provide an alternative to traditional instruction and allow students to access learning from home, from work, or from most computers with access to the Internet. All courses are taught by SRJC faculty, and all units, certificates, and degrees are awarded by SRJC. Online learning courses have the same rigor and quality as other classes at the College, but the methods of instruction are customized to the online environment.
At SRJC, Distance Education is defined as:
- Fully online courses, 100% of the course meetings are online
- Hybrid courses, meaning 51% or more of the course meetings are online
- Blended courses, in which some of the course meetings (but less than 51%) are online
Distance Education at Santa Rosa Junior College, hosts SRJC’s online classes as well as Web-based materials created for face-to-face classes by SRJC faculty through CATE (Computer Assisted Teaching Environment) and Moodle. Distance Education also assists faculty with creating and maintaining online classes and Web-based instructional materials, and provides information and resources for SRJC faculty and students who participate in Web-based teaching and learning.
The vision for Distance Education supports the overall mission of SRJC with a strong commitment to student learning and success through:
- High quality, student-centered, interactive learning experiences in online, hybrid, or blended courses.
- Collaborative and interdisciplinary approaches to learning that help students develop meaningful and relevant connections in their lives.
- Pedagogy which encourages critical and independent thinking and is responsive to a spectrum of learning styles.
- Flexibility in the scheduling of course offerings to meet student needs.
- Up-to-date delivery formats which equip students to be successful in an ever-changing technological environment.